Sunday, August 7, 2011

Just Keep Swimming

I borrowed my title for this post from Dori off Finding Nemo :)

I have written some about perseverance before, but I usually talked about perseverance in big things. But lately, I've found that perseverance in small things is just as much of a challenge. My example would be reading my Bible. I have read my Bible every day this year since January 1st. But I haven't always followed my reading plan. Some days I've read just one or two chapters, using the excuse that I'm too tired to do more (I read my Bible at night usually). But then I stopped to think: "If I can get up to go to cross country practice at 6:30 in the morning in the summertime and run for almost an hour, then why can't I read 3 or 4 chapters in my Bible every night?" So, at that point, I made a commitment. I will read the "assigned" chapters in my Bible every day. If I can make time every day to read my Bible, I might as well read all the chapters that I'm supposed to. After all, if I don't, I'll just have to read extra chapters the next day in order to finish reading through the Bible in a year.
Speaking from personal experience, it's much better to persevere through a trial or struggle then to take the easy way out and have to deal with your conscience later.
Here's two verses and a quote that I think are good for thought and inspiration.

  • Romans 5:3-4~Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.
  • Hebrews 12:1~Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
  • Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain. ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment