Friday, July 9, 2010

Philippians 4:8

Philippians 4:8~ Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy, meditate on these things.

This is one of my favorite verses(notice it's in the address for our blog. Breanna's favorite verse is Matthew 19:26). I think it tells a lot about what we as Christians should focus on. If something doesn't fall under one of these 8 categories, we shouldn't be thinking about it. That's a big challenge. But how do we focus on these things and keep the wrong things out of our minds? I think part of the answer is in Psalm 119:9-11:How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your Word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands. I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You. In order to think about the right things, we must meditate on them. And since we know that God's word is true, noble, etc.(in fact, it's the ultimate Truth), it's a good thing to meditate on. We need to be in God's Word constantly. I think it's so important to read and meditate on God's Word daily. The more you read His Holy Word, the more you will find yourself thinking about it and living your life in light of it. Let's all try to spend more time in God's Word this summer rather than watching TV, playing video games, listening to iPods, etc. (I've really struggled with this over summer break!!).
Note: I'll be on vacation at the beach next week and I'm not sure whether I have Internet access, so if I don't post anything, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment