Saturday, March 19, 2011

God

I said in my last post that I had been learning a lot, even from reading through the Old Testament. These are just a few examples of things that I have learned.



  • In Numbers 10:9, the LORD tells the Israelites, "When you go into battle in your own land against an enemy who is oppressing you, sound a blast on the trumpets. Then you will be remembered by the LORD your God and rescued from your enemies." I think God told them to do this because by doing it, the were obeying Him and acknowledging that they needed His help. The trumpets themselves had no special significance. It was the Israelites' mindset when they blew them that affected the outcome of the battle.
  • Numbers 11:1 explains how God felt when the Israelites wouldn't stop complaining. I am very bad about complaining and this verse reminded me how much God hates complaining.
  • In Numbers 13 and 14, the God sent several Israelites to explore the land of Canaan. They people came back scared and worried about how they would overtake the people living there. God was upset with the people for trusting in their own strength instead of His. This reminded me that I can do nothing through my own strength, but everything through God's.
  • Numbers 20:8 says, “Take the staff, and you and your brother Aaron gather the assembly together. Speak to that rock before their eyes and it will pour out its water. You will bring water out of the rock for the community so they and their livestock can drink.” This reminded me of God's provision.
  • In Numbers 20:12, God says to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them." Although this is a sad passage, it reminds us that God knows what He's doing and He demands obedience. Those who don't obey Him and honor Him will not go unpunished.
  • In Numbers 21, the Israelites grew impatient. God grew angry and sent deadly snakes to the people. Many Israelites died from their bites. But the people repented and said to Moses, "We sinned when we spoke against the LORD and against you. Pray that the LORD will take the snakes away from us." Moses prayed to God and God said, "Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live." This chapter reminded me that God honors true repentance. God is a patient God, even when we are impatient.
  • Numbers 32:11 taught me that God requires wholehearted service. God doesn't want us to follow Him only when we want to. We must follow Him through good times and bad times.
  • Numbers 32:23 reminded me that our sin will find us out. It may seem like we are getting away with something, but God always knows what we are doing and we will all have to give an account to Him one day of everything that we have ever done.

The Holy Spirit showed me all of these things just while I was reading through Numbers. It is amazing how much we can learn from God's Word. There really is no substitute for spending uninterrupted time in God's Word every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment