Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Contentment

Proverbs 30:8 ~ Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.
I have been thinking about contentment a lot lately, and this verse came to mind. I really like this verse because I think the Psalmist hit the nail right on the head when he wrote it. No one wants to be poor. But this verse explains that we don't have to be rich either. When you think about it, being extremely rich and having no one to share your wealth with would be an extremely miserable life. This verse encourages me to be content with what I have. I am neither poor nor rich, and according to the Psalmist, this is ideal. I am so thankful for everything that God has given me, and I should never take it for granted. I have written a lot about thankfulness and contentment, but only because it is something that I tend to really struggle with.
But, we can still be rich in the sense that we have the greatest Father anyone could ever have. My 7th grade social studies teacher told us that he was one of the richest men we would ever meet. He said that there had been times when he'd only had a few dollars in his pocket, but he had great family and friends and a life full of love. So, I encourage you to me like him. Be rich in love, but when it comes to material wealth, be content with what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment