Monday, June 6, 2011

Fear of Failure, a.k.a. Pride

If I had a penny for every time I didn't do something because I thought I would fail, I would be rich right now. I am always terrified of failing and looking like an idiot, so I don't do something and then end up regretting it. I realized how much this related to pride. I had always resented the quote "What other people think about you is none of your business." I argued that it was definitely my business because it was about me. I am very much a people person. I love interacting with other people, and I really want other to like me. I want people to think I'm cool.
I almost let fear of failure keep me from running Cross Country. I knew that I would start out as one of the worst ones on the team, and I didn't want the people my age looking down on me because I was less experienced than them. But, the Lord finally broke my pride in that area, and even though I'm not great at it yet, I am LOVING Cross Country.
So, my advice to you is, don't let pride keep you from doing something that you think you should do. Trust me, the regret is not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment