Monday, October 25, 2010

My Peter Story

This post is kind of hard to write, but here goes...
The other night at church, we had a message preached on the life of Peter. The speaker talked about how even though Peter had a great faith in Christ and loved Him a great deal, when opposition came his faith often failed him. He gave examples like the time when Christ walked on water, and while Peter had faith in Christ, he was able to also. But, when he began to doubt, he fell. Another example is the time when Peter was told by Christ that he would deny Him three times before the rooster crowed. It happened.
Even though we can sometimes look at this story and think that we're better than Peter, it's not true. I have the tendency to think so too. After the message, I began to think about how I needed to try and be a better example to other people and live more like Christ. I prayed and asked Christ for the strength to do so. But, not five minutes after the service I was complaining and gossiping. How could this be? We had JUST had a message about that and I was resolved to live for Christ. The answer is that we are just like Peter. None of us are perfect. Christ can and will give us the strength to live for Him, but we must first realize that it is only through His strength that we can do so. I think this is where I messed up. I believed that I could do it myself without any help. And, I didn't succeed. But, I believe that if I humbly come before Christ and ask for His strength, He will help me be successful.
I hope this post encourages and helps you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment