Thursday, January 13, 2011

Doubt: A Companion to Worry

I have done a post on worry before, but I thought I'd do a post on one of Worry's best friends: Doubt. Philippians 4:6-7 tells us, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." This verse is telling us not to worry, but to let God take care of everything. But if we are worrying, are we not doubting that God will take care of us? This is something that I have struggled with, because as I have said many times, I worry a lot. In every situation that I have worried, though, God has shown me that there was no reason to. Everything has been fine in the end. But, I tend to still worry. I thought about it, and realized that if I am worrying with no cause (and there is never a just cause, because God has promised us that he cares for us and will take care of us [1 Peter 5:7 -"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you"]), I am doubting that God will take care of me. I know I am doing this, because God has never given me a reason to worry, but yet I have anyway at times. James 1:6b says, "for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind." I do not want to be like a wave. I want to be steadfast and sure. All of these verses continually convict me that I shouldn't worry. It has taken a lot of prayer and meditation, but I am slowly learning to trust God for everything. I hope that this post isn't to jumbled up and that it helps you!

No comments:

Post a Comment